If you need to raise the pH in your soil, this is the product we have that with continued use, can get you into a better range. Make sure you get the right one because we carry another product that looks similar and it lowers pH. The black bag shown in this listing, is designed to raise your pH if it is low. Please look at the photos to be sure you get the right one - we cannot do exchanges if you order the incorrect product. Remember - black bag (this listing) raises pH.
Jonathan Green Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard Soil contains calcium carbonate in a completely soluble form that is immediately available to adjust soil pH upwards. Poor soil is often the problem in growing a great lawn and calcium is vital to many grass plant functions. When soil is compacted or too acidic, air, water, and nutrients are unable to reach the roots, making it very difficult for grass to flourish.
Lawns thrive in soil with slightly acidic to neutral pH levels ranging from 6.2 to 7.0. When pH levels drop between 4.0 to 6.0 weeds flourish and the grass becomes light green and spindly. Additionally, Mag-I-Cal Plus® helps to break up clay and compacted soils. This improves root penetration and promotes growth by increasing biological activity and releasing nutrients trapped in the soil.
When to Apply:
- Best applied during the growing season when the soil is not frozen.
- Safe to apply when seeding or sodding.
- Spread the product on a dry lawn soon after mowing.
- For best results, rake the lawn vigorously prior to application.
- Use a rotary or drop lawn spreader. To select the proper setting see the Spreader Settings section in the accordion below.
- Apply around the perimeter of the lawn to establish a turning area. Then run the spreader back and forth within the area outlined by your first perimeter application. Always allow an overlap to avoid gaps in coverage.
- To avoid staining, sweep any excess granules off of hard surfaces and back onto the lawn.
- Irrigate the treated area after application for 15-30 minutes for best results.
- Once watered, wait a day to mow the lawn to give the product time to activate.
- For soils with pH lower than 6, repeat applications twice a year.
- Coverage: 18 lb Bag - 5,000 sq. ft.
- Fortified with: Highly soluble calcium carbonate, fast acting gypsum, humates, iron, and amino acids
- Can Be Used When Seeding: Yes
- Apply to Dry or Damp Lawn: Dry
- Safe for Children & Pets: Yes
- Application Temperature Range: Minimum 45°F
- When to Use: Spring, summer or fall